Formula One team Force India confirmed Monday that they have extended their contract with German driver Nico Hulkenberg till the 2015 season. The 27-year-old German returned to Force India at the start of the 2014 season and has enjoyed his most successful F1 campaign so far with point finishes in 13 races, including four fifth-place finishes.
He is in eighth spot in the driver standings with 76 points behind leader Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes (291 points). Force India are currently sixth in the constructor standings, 123 points behind Mercedes who lead the table with 565 points.
“It’s good to confirm my plans for next season. This is a team I know extremely well and we’ve enjoyed a great year together with some special results. The team has big ambitions and I believe we can have a competitive package once again next year,” Nico said in a statement Monday.
“We have a strong partner in Mercedes and everyone in the team is motivated and hungry for more success. I have a good feeling for 2015 and there is a lot to be excited about as we try to build on the results we have achieved this year.”
Vijay Mallya, team principal and managing director, expressed his delight in keeping the 27-year-old on board.
“Everybody in the team is delighted to see Nico remain a Sahara Force India driver for next season. We rate him very highly and he has done a tremendous job this year by consistently picking up crucial championship points,” Mallya said.
“We know him extremely well: he’s a true racer and he knows how to motivate the team. I am convinced he is one of the best talents on the grid and I am proud that he will continue to race in the colours of Sahara Force India.”
–Indo Asian News Service